|Aircraft preserved in Canada 7: Warplanes in New Brunswick
Canadian Warplanes preserved in New Brunswick
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical Warplane preserved in Canada. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any errors found here are by the author. French Translation of the technical data presented here would be appreciated. Corrections, amendments and suggested changes may be emailed to the author at email@example.com.
Une traduction au français pour l'information technique présente serait grandement apprécié. Vos corrections, changements et suggestions sont les bienvenus, et peuvent être envoyés au firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data current to 23 June 2017.
Boiestown, Woodsmen Museum (BWM)
General Motors (Grumman) TBM-3 Avenger (Serial No. 85733), C-GLEK, Forest Protection Ltd, Aircraft No. 14. (Author Artwork & Photo)
Note: All Avengers operated by Forest Protection Limited (FPL), Fredericton Airport, 2502 Lincoln Road, have been sold.
Avro Lancaster Mk. X, RCAF (Serial No. FM211), VC-DHZ, Air Navigation School, 8 Aug 1949. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3586596)
Avro Lancaster Mk. X, RCAF (Serial No. FM207), 2 Apr 1951. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3207414)
Avro Lancaster Mk. X AR (Serial No. KB882). (Author Photos)
in 1945 and delivered to No. 428 Squadron RCAF in March 1945 and flown to England. It was painted with the call sign NA-R. It had to be in England before the war ended, as it is documented as having flown on six operations over Germany (another source states KB882 flew eleven missions). KN882 was flown back to Canada in June 1945 and was in storage until 1952. It was modified to Mk. 10P configuration and equipped with state of the art SHORAN radar navigation equipment in 1952. It then flew with No, 408 Squadron RCAF on surveillance and mapping operations over Northern Canada until 1964, when it was flown to Edmundston and placed on display. KB882 is still in its RCAF aerial mapping configuration. Edmundston, New Brunswick, but is slated to be transferred to CFB Trenton for restoration and display with the National Museum of the RCAF.
The Bomber Command Museum has provided a more detailed record:
KB882 was built by Victory Aircraft in Dec 1944 and flown to England on 24 Feb 1945. KB882 was issued to No. 32 (MU) and then assigned to No. 431(B) Squadron (no code). It then went to No. 428(B) Squadron, coded NA-R (the second Lancaster to have that code). KB882 flew on 19 Operations, and logged the following flying time overseas:
15 Mar 1945 - Hagen - Night(N) - 7 hrs, 5 min. 4 Apr 1945 - Merseberg - (N) - 9 hrs, 20 min. 8 Apr 1945 - Hamburg - (N) - 6 hrs, 5 min. 9 Apr 1945 - Upper Hayford/Base - 55 min. 10 Apr 1945 - Leipzig - Day (D) - 8 hrs, 30 min. 13 Apr 1945 - Kiel - (N) - 6 hrs, 5 min. 14 April 1945 - Church Broughton/Base - 40 min. 25 Apr 1945 - Wangerooge - (D) - 4 hrs, 50 min. 6 May 1945 - Cross country - (N) - 5 hrs, 15 min. 14 May 1945 - Cross country - (D) - 3 hrs, 45 min. 24 May 1945 - Cross country - (D) - 4 hrs, 40 min. 29 May 1945 - Cross country - (N) - 4 hrs, 35 min. 1 Jun 1945 - Middleton Ste.George to St. Mawgans - 2 hrs, 5 min. 6 Jun 1945 - St. Mawgans to Lagens, Azores - 8 hrs, 42 min. 9 Jun 1945 - Lagens to Gander, Newfoundland - 8 hrs 46 min. 10 Jun 1945 - Gander to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia - 3 hrs 17 minè
KB882 returned to Canada with No. 428 Squadron, coded NA-R, ''Rabbit Stew". KB882 was one of the few aircraft with nose art and had been flown on 19 Operations. The crew that flew her back to Canada included (P) F/L A.L.Ross DFC, DFM, (N) F/O K.R.Fee DFC, (W/O) F/L. Aicken, (B/A) F/O E.K.Bergy,(F/E) F/O R. Loveday, (AG) F/O Dan Ferguson, (AG) F/O Bill Watson. KB882 then went into long term storage in Alberta. In Oct 1952 she was brought out of storage, designated as a Mk. 10MR and flown to Comox, British Columbia. KB882 was ferried to A.V. Roe (Canada) for a major overhaul and was modified to the Mk. 10P (Photographic) configuration. The most noticeable alteration was the addition of a 40-inch extension to the nose section. KB882 was the second aircraft to be converted to Mk. 10P. She was issued to No. 408(P) Squadron, coded MN882, at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, as part of Air Transport Command. The lengthened nose accommodated an AN/APS-42 navigation/weather radar, and there was an canister containing the UPD-501 passive intercept radar in the rear fuselage, and an extensive array of antennas for the radio. KB882's bomb bay was fitted with two long-range fuel tanks and a pannier for baggage and spares. Lancasters are credited with photographing the vast majority of the Canadian high Arctic in the late 1940's and 1950's. After a long and distinguished service career with the RCAF, Lancaster KB882 was honorably retired at Dunnville, Ontario. She was officially struck off strength (SOC) on 26 May 1964. On 1 May 1964, the Crown Assets Disposal Corporation accepted a monetary offer from the City of Edmundston, New Brunswick, for the purchase of the aircraft. Shortly afterwards it was flown from DND No. 6 Repair Depot, Trenton, Ontario to Fredericton, NB, where it waited for the Edmundston site to be completed. On 14 July 1964, Captain Joseph (Pepi) DiGiacinto, pilot; Flight Sgt Derek Miller, co-pilot; Gerry Flemming, radio operator; Captain Keith Wyatt, navigator and flight Engineer, Jim Cochrane brought KB882 in on her final flight. The crew touched down at the Edmundston Municipal Airport where she was mounted on a hardstand at St Jacques Airport in its last operational colours, (for a short while had been painted in wartime camouflage coded NA-R "Rabbit Stew".
McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo (Serial No. 101028), ex-USAF (Serial No. 57-00346).
McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo (Serial No. 101053), ex-USAF (Serial No. 57-0418). On the grounds of former CFB Chatham.
McDonnell CF-101 Voodoo, Genie Missile, CFB Chatham, NB. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4014845)
Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 5, (Serial No. 18551). (RCAF Photo)
Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 5 (Serial No. 18488), silver, mounted on a pylon in Centennial Park, on Highway 2, West end of the city.
Oromocto, 5 Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown, New Brunswick Military History Museum
Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 5 (Serial No. 18767). (RCAF Photos)
Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 5 (Serial No. 18773), (Serial No. 100773), (814B), silver, previously on display at CFB Trenton.
Bell CH-136 Kiowa Helicopter (Serial No. 136216), mounted on a pylon, 403 Helicopter Operational Training Squadron, 1 Wing, 1 Canadian Air Division. 5 Canadian Division Support Group Base Gagetown, New Brunswick.
Bell CH-146 Griffon helicopter currently in service with 403 Helicopter Operational Training Squadron, 1 Wing, 1 Canadian Air Division. 5 Canadian Division Support Group Base Gagetown, New Brunswick.
Canadair CL-13 Sabre Mk. 5 (F-86E), (Serial No. 23292), wreckage, vertical fin and landing gear. Recovered from a 1 Aug 1956 crash site found at 5 CDSGB Gagetown. The “Sword” was piloted by Flight Leader (F/L) Ian Gordon-Johnson, a Royal Air Force Exchange Officer flying out of an Officer Training Unit (OTU) based at RCAF Station Chatham, New Brunswick. F/L Gordon-Johnson was killed when his Sabre fighter-jet hit a tree early in the morning while low-flying on Exercise Morning Star over the base on 1 August 1956.
Canadair CL-13 Sabre, one of the Golden Hawks flying out of CFB Chatham in the 1960s. (Author Artwork)
McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo (Serial No. 101046), ex-USAF (Serial No. 57-0384), 817B, 416 Squadron, previously on display at CFB Trenton.
McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo (Serial No. 101042), target on artillery range.
Saint John, New Brunswick Museum (NBM), 277 Douglas Ave, Market Square.
Dr. Wallace Rupert Turnbull Exhibit.