|Aircraft preserved in Canada 5: Warplanes in Ontario, CFB Trenton, National Air Force Museum of Canada
National Air Force Museum of Canada,
CFB Trenton, Ontario
The page for warplanes preserved in Ontario has grown too large to download quickly, so the aircraft on display in the National Air Force Museum of Canada, 8 Wing, CFB Trenton, are listed here separately. (This should keep the webpage from crashing)
The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical Warplane preserved in Canada. Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website. Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited. Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplanes in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data current to 20 Aug 2018.
CFB Trenton, National Air Force Museum of Canada (NAFMC), 8 Wing.
Silver Dart, ca 1910. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3650308)
Aeronautical Experimental Association (AEA) Silver Dart 5 (Serial No. Mach 0.046). In 2009 the 100th anniversary of flight in Canada was celebrated. It was on 23 Feb 1909, that John McCurdy flew the Silver Dart at Baddeck, Nova Scotia, marking the first flight of a powered aircraft in Canada. This aircraft was designed in 1908 by John McCurdy and the construction was supervised by Alexander Graham Bell’s Aeronautical Experimental Association at Glen Curtis’s facilities in Hammondsport, New York, where it was flown before being transferred to Canada in January of 1909. Two aviation enthusiasts, Ed Lubitz and Mark Taylor, chose to mark and celebrate this important aviation event. In October 2008 they began building their own Silver Dart replica, and after 8 months of construction activity, their masterpiece was completed in March 2009. This well researched project, used the original drawings, with the overall philosophy of the replica’s construction being the aircraft was made to the original specifications with concessions to modern materials. Mach 0.046 is 35 miles per hour, the cruise speed of the original aircraft. This incredible replica was donated to the NAFMC in early November of 2010. (NAFMC)
Auster T7, RCAF (Serial No. 16688), BV-B, No. 444 Squadron, 5 Aug 1952. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3617348)
Auster AOP.6, RCAF (Serial No. 16670), 2598, (Serial No. VF582), CF-LWK. This aircraft has been with the museum since 1991. Donated by Dr. P. Kelley, the museum’s Auster was purchased by the RCAF in 1948, but spent most of its air force life in storage. When it was sold to a private company in 1957, it had accumulated only 22 flight hours. It is currently painted in RCAF silver training colour scheme, however the civilian registration number as used by previous owner has been maintained on the tail. (NAFMC)
Avro Anson Mk. II, RCAF (Serial No. 7150), 24 Mar 1942. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3582082)
Avro Anson Mk. II, RCAF (Serial No. 7069), Rockcliffe, 30 June 1942. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388009)
Avro 652A Anson Mk. II (Serial No. unknown), painted as RCAF (Serial No. 7207), No. 13 Bombing and Gunnery School, Picton, Ontario, which crashed on 28 June 1942. This recently restored aircraft is on display next to the Halifax bomber.
Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 5, RCAF (Serial No. 18784) and black-painted Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 5 (Serial No. 18774). (RCAF Photo)
(Alain Rioux Photo)
Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 5 (Serial No. 18774), (Serial No. 100774), painted black to represent the CF-100 prototype.
(John Davies Photos)
Beechcraft CT-134A Musketeer (Serial No. 134213), (A800). The museum's Musketeer flew with No. 3 Flying Training School at CFB Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. (NAFMC)
(Mike Kaehler Photo)
Bell CH-118 Iroquois Helicopter (Serial No. 118101). The museum’s Iroquois served part of its service life with No. 439 ‘Tiger’ Squadron, which was activated in Bagotville in 1993 as a Combat Support unit. All Iroquois were replaced by Bell Griffon helicopters in 1995. The museum’s helicopter was used for Aircraft Battle Damage Repair training at CFB Borden and then at CFB Trenton. (NAFMC)
Bell CH-135 Twin Huey Helicopter (Serial No. 135102). Twin Huey helicopters primarily served Army bases and were frequently used on United Nations peacekeeping missions. The museum’s Huey served No. 427 ‘Lion’ Squadron on overseas missions in Egypt (1987, Multinational Force & Observers), Honduras (1989, UN) and Haiti (1995, UN). No. 427 Squadron is a Tactical Helicopter squadron based at CFB Petawawa, Ontario. (NAFMC)
Bell CH-136 Kiowa Helicopter (Serial No. 136204). The museum’s example served No. 408 ‘Goose’ Squadron in Edmonton, where its primary goal was to provide tactical air support for the army. Upon its retirement in 1996, the aircraft was given its current paint scheme to honour both the Kiowa and 408 Squadron’s contribution to the Canadian Forces. The image of the flying geese represents 408’s mascot, while the ‘For Freedom’ phrase is the squadron’s motto. The black-and-white markings on the tail are the same markings used by Allied Invasion aircraft during the Second World War, in which 408 Squadron was involved. The ‘EQ’ represents the unit’s Second World War tail code. (NAFMC)
Boeing 707 aerial research aircraft with modified nose. Introduced by Boeing in 1959, the 720 was a smaller capacity, lighter, medium range variant of the 707, one of the most successful airliners of the 20thcentury. C-FETB was a 720 flying test bed operated by Pratt & Whitney Canada until 2010. The Model 720-023B (construction number 18024) was the 177th Model 707-type airplane made by Boeing Airplane. R olled out on 28 Oct 1960, the airplane, Reg. No. N7538A, flew on 14 Jan 1961. It was delivered to American Airlines on 3 Feb. This airline operated N7538A until August 1971, when it was put in storage in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Middle East Airlines (MEA), the largest airline in Lebanon, bought the airplane on 25 Sep 1971. Re-registered as OD-AFQ, the airplane was delivered to its new owner on 30 Sep. Like many, if not most MEA airplanes, OD-AFQ was forced to stay away from its main base in Beirut when Israel invaded Lebanon, in June 1982, occupying a good part of the country until 1985. Based at Orly, an airport near Paris, the airplane occasionally flew passengers for Air France and Air Inter, another French airline. Pratt & Whitney Canada (PWC) bought the Model 720B in December 1985 and re-registered it as C-FETB (Flying Experimental Test Bed) on 10 Jan 1986. A series of modification were made after this date. C-FETB did its flight acceptance flight on 9 Oct 1986. A PWC crew flew the airplane across the Atlantic on 12 Oct. Known internally as FTB1 (Flying test bed 1), C-FETB was thoroughly modified for its new role between October 1986 and January 1988. It was equipped to test a variety of engines. (NAFMC).
Boeing Vertol CH-113A Labrador Helicopter, RCAF (Serial No. 11316). (RCAF Photo)
Boeing Vertol CH-113A Labrador Helicopter (Serial No. 11315). The museum’s Labrador was one of the last three to fly in Canada. It was put into service in 1965 and initially served with No. 450 Squadron in Uplands (Ottawa). This Labrador was originally designated as ‘Voyageur’, a helicopter specifically designed for army transport. It was gradually modified with Search and Rescue equipment and was later officially re-designated as ‘Labrador’. It served with No. 424 Squadron in Trenton before its retirement in 2004. (NAFMC)
Boeing-Vertol CH-147D Chinook (Serial No. 147201) "Miss Behavin". This helicopter was originally built as a CH-47C, US Army (Serial No. 68-16017), c/n B.609. It was converted to a CH-47D, new (Serial No. 89-00130), c/n M.3284. The helicopter was over 39 years old when it was supplied to the Canadian Forces. It was purchased second-hand from the US Army for use by Canadian Forces Joint Task Force Afghanistan Air Wing at Kandahar, Afghanistan.
(Library of Congress Photo)
Burgess-Dunne floatplane. This replica biplane was acquired from Barry MacKeracher and has been with the Museum since 2001. An origianl Burgess-Dunne floatplane was the first Canadian military aircraft, purchased from the Burgess Company in Sep 1914. Burgess-Dunne was the first licensed aircraft manufacturer in the United States. It later became a subsidiary of Curtiss Aeroplane in 1914. One of the company’s best projects was a tailless biplane with central floats for water take off/landing based on a prototype designed by English engineer John William Dunne (1875 – 1949). This aircraft was known as the Burgess-Dunne. (NAFMC)
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star, Red Knight colours.
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star (Serial No. 133435), before being painted in Red Knight colours. (Alain Rioux Photo)
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star (Serial No. 133435), (Serial No. 21435). This Silver Star is painted to represent the colours of the ‘Red Knight,’ a solo aerobatic pilot who performed from 1959-1968. The museum’s aircraft was not a Red Knight, but served with VU 33 Squadron on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The last Canadian T-33 flew on 31 Mar 2005 in Cold Lake, Alberta. (NAFMC)
(John Davies Photo)
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star.
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star (Serial No.).
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star (Serial No. 133190). North Gate.
Canadair CL-13 Sabre, CK-R, ca 1960s. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3338818)
(Author Photo, ca 1979)
Canadair CL-13 Sabre Mk. 5 (Serial No. 23257). The museum’s Sabre served No. 439 ‘Tiger’ Squadron at various RCAF bases in Europe. After its retirement in 1967, it was mounted as a gate guard for the Air Maintenance and Development Unit at CFB Trenton. It was previously painted in the colours of the ‘Golden Hawks’ similar to the two on display in Trenton and Belleville. It currently wears the colours of its original squadron. (NAFMC)
Canadair CP-107 Argus (CL-28) Mk. 1, RCAF (Serial No. 20721), 1971.
Canadair CP-107 Argus Mk. 2 (Serial No. 10432), 783C. The museum’s Argus was one of twenty purchased by the RCAF in 1958. It flew with No. 415 Maritime Patrol ‘Swordfish’ Squadron at CFB Summerside, Prince Edward Island, until 1981, (thus the swordfish markings on the tail of the aircraft). The Argus was replaced by the Lockheed CP-140 Aurora patrol aircraft when No. 415 Squadron was moved to CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia. This Argus was stored at Mountainview, Ontario, and painted at CFB Trenton before it was brought to the museum. (NAFMC)
Canadair CF-104D Starfighter Mk. I (Serial No. 104646). This dual-seat Starfighter served with the No. 6 Operational Training Unit in Cold Lake, Alberta, during the 1960s. The ‘X’ marking on the tail indicates that it was also operated by Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment, a unit that evaluates safety and effectiveness of air force aircraft. When 104646 flew from Cold Lake to Trenton in 1983, it was the last Starfighter to fly in Canada. It was stored at the Mountainview storage facility before it was acquired by the museum. (NAFMC)
Canadair CT-114 Tutor (Serial No. 114015).
Canadair CF-116 Freedom Fighter, 419, (Serial No. 116703) in flight. (RCAF Photo)
Canadair CF-116 Freedom Fighter (Serial No. 116721). The museum’s Freedom Fighter initially served as a tactical fighter and trainer for No. 434 Squadron in Cold Lake, Alberta. In 1976, it was transferred to No. 419 ‘Moose’ Squadron, where it was used primarily for training. The paint scheme for 116721 commemorates the history of ‘Moose’ Squadron and the colours of our national flag. (NAFMC)
Canadair CC-144 Challenger (Serial No. 144601).
Cessna 152, Reg. No. C-GXSR.
de Havilland Chipmunk T10 (Serial No. WB550), C1/0002. Chipmunk aircraft were used extensively by the RCAF, however the museum’s example was flown by the Royal Air Force. The RAF purchased it in 1949 from DeHavilland Canada and when it was retired in 1996, it had the status of being the longest serving Chipmunk in British aviation history. (NAFMC)
de Havilland (Grumman) CS2F-1 Tracker, RCN, (Serial No. 581). (RCN Photo)
de Havilland (Grumman) CP-121, CS2F Tracker (Serial No. 1545). Trackers were purchased by the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) to be used on aircraft carriers. However, when the last RCN carrier, HMCS Bonaventure, was phased out in 1969, the Tracker’s role changed from anti-submarine to coastal patrol. The museum’s example was one of the first Trackers built by DeHavilland and has served with every squadron in the RCN. (NAFMC)
Douglas Dakota loading wounded, ca 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4233648)
Douglas Dakota with CWAC, Holland, ca 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4233638)
Douglas Dakota landing, 29 May 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3583292)
Douglas CC-129 Dakota (Serial No. 12963), the Second World War camouflage, “Canucks Unlimited”. The museum’s Dakota served with RCAF No. 435 & No. 436 Squadrons in India from 1944-1946. It was one of many DC-3s used to transport supplies and troops to the British Army in Burma. After the Second World War, it served in various squadrons in Canada until its retirement in 1989. Dakota 12963 has been repainted in the colours it wore while serving in Burma. (NAFMC)
Handley Page Halifax on a daylight bombing raid over Europe ca 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4002568)
Handley Page Halifax Mk. III, RCAF (Serial No. MZ620), No. 6 Group, No. 425 Alouette Squadron, England, 6 Jan 1945. The identifier T is visible above the landing gear. Coded KW-T, this Halifax flew with 425 Sqn until the 8th of Feb 1945, after completing 60 missions. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4752281)
MZ620 was photographed with the same Nose Art on the 23rd of November 1944 parked at dispersal with four other 425 SQN aircraft, KW-S (MZ464), KW-U (LL596), and two others not identified. One WEB site identifies it as KW-Q, probably because it somewhat resembles the nose art on Halifax KW-Q NP957, "Ville de Quebec", which can be seen today on a wall in the War Museum in Ottawa. However that painting was done during March 1945. It did not exist in November 1944.
It was also photographed on the 2nd of July 1944 (PL-30749) but without the crest that resembles a police badge. At that time it was erroneously identified as belonging to KW-A, probably because "Alouette" was visible on the painting. On the 28th of June 1944, at 02:00 in the morning, KW-A MZ683 was destroyed after colliding with another Halifax while landing at Tholthorpe. By July 2nd 1944, it had been replaced by KW-A NA527. The replacement NA527 received the identical nose art that MZ683 had sported, a stylized Lark with "Alouette" written above and "Je t'y Plumerai" below.
Handley Page Halifax Mk. III, RCAF No. 6 Group, No. 420 Squadron, England, 6 Jan 1945. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4752284)
Handley Page Halifax, RCAF No. 6 Group, No. 425 Squadron, England, 23 Nov 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4752276)
(Robert Taylor Photos)
Handley Page HP 57 Halifax Mk. VII (Serial No. NA337). This aircraft was a Special Duties aircraft built by Rootes Motors, at Liverpool Airport. NA337 flew with No. 644 Squadron RAF, then based at RAF Tarrant Rushton, and was shot down in April 1945. It was retrieved from the bottom of Lake Mjøsa in Norway in 1995, and taken to Canada where restoration was completed at CFB Trenton in 2005.
Hawker Hurricane, Y-OY, replica from the UK.
Hawker Hunter F. Mk. 6 (Serial No. J-4029). This aircraft was donated by the government of Switzerland and has been in the collection since 1995.T he museum’s example flew with the official aerobatics team of the Swiss Air Force ‘Patrouille Suisse’ from 1959 to 1994. It is painted in the team’s official colours.
Lockheed Hudson, RCAF (Serial No. 638), 21 June 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3589746)
Lockheed Hudson, RCAF, 21 June 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3589741)
Lockheed Hudson, RCAF (Serial No. 456), 21 June 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3589739)
Lockheed 414 Hudson Mk. VI (A-28A), fuselage, USAAF (Serial No. 42-47022), C/N 414-6942, Lend-Lease Contract No. DA-908, RAF (Serial No. FK466). This aircraft was is on loan from by the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum in Halifax and will go back to the ACAM after 20 years. It is undergoing restoration with parts from a Lockheed Lodestar, Reg. No. CF-CEC from the Reynolds Museum, Alberta and a pair of Pratt & Whitney PW1830 radial engines donated by Joe McBryan of Buffalo Airways. Originally allocated to the RAF this aircraft was taken on strength by No. 1 Composite Squadron RCAF at Torbay, Newfoundland. Its gun turret was removed and the aircraft was re-equipped with a lifeboat for use in air-sea rescue operations. In 1945 this aircraft helped save the crew of a downed American Consolidated B-24 Liberator.
Lockheed CC-130E Hercules (Serial No. 130320). (John Davies Photo)
Lockheed CC-130E Hercules (Serial No. 130313), grey.
McDonnell CF-101B Voodoos, 409 Squadronn, ca 1960s.
McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo (Serial No. 101040), USAF (Serial No. 57-0373). The RCAF purchased Voodoo 101040 from the United States Air Force in 1971. The aircraft flew with No. 409 ‘Nighthawk’ Squadron, an air defence unit located in Comox, British Columbia, (thus the hawk image located on the tail). It also flew with No. 416 Squadron in CFB Chatham, New Brunswick, which became the last unit in the world to fly the Voodoo. (NAFMC)
McDonnell Douglas CF-188B Hornet, (Serial No. 188934). (SSgt. Greg L. Davis, USAF Photo)
McDonnell Douglas CF-188 Hornet (Serial No. 188911).
North American AT-6A Harvard Mk. IIB, RCAF (Serial No. 3034), on skis. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3203262)
North American NA-66 Harvard Mk. IIB, RCAF (Serial No. 3270), AN-C. The museum’s example was first acquired by the RCAF in 1942 and was initially used for pilot training by No. 411 Squadron at RCAF Station Toronto. It later moved to No. 6 Repair Depot in Trenton and subsequently served at RCAF Station Summerside in PEI from 1956-1960. Harvard 3270 was sold in 1960 to a private individual in Guelph, Ontario where it was stored outside and was never flown again. When it arrived at the museum, the aircraft was significantly damaged due to its long-term exposure to the weather.
North American NA-64 Yale (Serial No. 3390). (USN Photo)
North American NA-64 Yale Mk. I, RCAF (Serial No. 34112), c/n 64-2167, built in 1946, X7. This aircraft is on loand to the NAFMC from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, Mount Hope, Ontario.
MiG-21MF Fishbved-J, No. 460, of Jagdfliegergeschwader 1 (JG-1) taking off from Holzdorf, Germany, in August 1990. (Rob Schleiffert)
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21MF Fishbed-J (Serial No. 2345), No. 776. The MiG-21 is a Russian-designed aircraft that was never flown by the Canadian military. It was used primarily by countries in the Eastern Bloc, Middle East and Asia during the Cold War. NATO assigned the codename ‘Fishbed’ to the fighter. There were over 10 000 MiG models built and many are still in service today. This particular example was based in East Germany and was in service from 1975-1990. It was donated to the museum in 1993 by the Government of Germany. (NAFMC)
Northrop A17A Nomad, ca 1943. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4315395)
Northrop A-17 Nomad, RCAF (Serial No. 3495). (RCAF Photo)
Northrop A-17A Nomad, RCAF (Serial No. 3508). (RCAF Photo)
Northrop A-17A Nomad, Uplands, Ontario, ca 1944. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4327297)
Northrop A-17A Nomad, RCAF (Serial No. 3251). The remains of this aircraft were recovered from Lake Muskoka in Ontario in 2014. The severely damaged aircraft will require considerable restoration work and it is currently in storage. National Air Force Museum of Canada, CFB Trenton, Ontario.
Sikorsky S-51 helicopter, RCAF 9603, 13 June 1950. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3390962)
(Mike Kaehler Photo)
Sikorsky S-51/H-5 Dragonfly Helicopter (Serial No. 9601), (5118). This helicopter is on loan from the CA&SM. H-5 Dragonfly 9601 was taken on strength on 5 Apr 1947. It was the first of the seven Dragonflies that were taken on by the RCAF. It was originally assigned to Trenton for training duties, and then assigned to Edmonton, also for training. In 1950, H-5 Dragonfly 9601 was sent back to Trenton for repair and overhaul. When the overhaul was done, H-5 Dragonfly 9601 was sent to the Canadian Joint Air Training School in Rivers, Manitoba. After three years in the Canadian Joint Air Training School, it was sent to Cold Lake, Alberta, to the Experimental and Proving Establishment for five years. After that, it was sent to Chatham, New Brunswick, for five more years. In January 1965, H-5 Dragonfly 9601 was retired from active service and sent to the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa.
SAGEM Sperwer CU-161 UAV (Serial No. 161007). The Sperwer (Dutch for Sparrowhawk) is a 3-meter-long unmanned aerial vehicle manufactured by the French firm SAGEM. T he aircraft is piloted remotely and can cruise at altitudes of over 16,000 feet for as long as five hours. It can send back images of targets up to 150 kilometers from its operators on the ground. The Canadian Forces operated the Sperwer in Afghanistan between 2003 and its last mission on 18 April 2009 when it was replaced with the Israeli built IAI Heron.
Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IXE, RCAF No. 412 Squadron, loaded with 250-lb GP bombs, Volkel, Holland, 27 October 1944. (RCAF Photo)
Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IX, L-VC, replica from the UK.
This aviation handbook is designed to be used as a quick reference to the classic military heritage aircraft that have been flown by members of the Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and the Canadian Forces. The interested reader will find useful information and a few technical details on most of the military aircraft that have been in service with active Canadian squadrons both at home and overseas. 100 selected photographs have been included to illustrate a few of the major examples in addition to the serial numbers assigned to Canadian service aircraft. For those who like to actually see the aircraft concerned, aviation museum locations, addresses and contact phone numbers have been included, along with a list of aircraft held in each museum's current inventory or on display as gate guardians throughout Canada and overseas. The aircraft presented in this edition are listed alphabetically by manufacturer, number and type. Although many of Canada's heritage warplanes have completely disappeared, a few have been carefully collected, restored and preserved, and some have even been restored to flying condition. This guide-book should help you to find and view Canada's Warplane survivors.
Order book: http://bookstore.iuniverse.com/Products/SKU-000136656/Canadian-Warplanes.aspx.
Order e-book: http://bookstore.iuniverse.com/Products/SKU-000136656/Canadian-Warplanes.aspx.
Order book in Canada:
Nook book: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/canadian-warplanes-harold-a-skaarup/1108823626?ean=9781440167591&itm=10&USRI=Harold+Skaarup