Military History Books
by Harold A. Skaarup   www.SilverHawkAuthor.com   
 
Canadian Warplanes (4) Manitoba, Winnipeg, Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada

Warplanes in Manitoba, Winnipeg,

Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada

The aim of this website is to locate, identify and document every historical Warplane preserved in Canada.  Many contributors have assisted in the hunt for these aircraft to provide and update the data on this website.  Photos are by the author unless otherwise credited.  Any errors found here are by the author, and any additions, corrections or amendments to this list of Warplanes in Canada would be most welcome and may be e-mailed to the author at hskaarup@rogers.com.

Data current to 5 May 2020.

Winnipeg, Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada

(RCAF Photo)

Avro 504K, G-CYEI. 

(CF Photo)

Avro 504K, G-CYEI. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3222582)

Avro 652A Anson Mk. I, RCAF (Serial No. R3373), Uplands, Ontario, 12 Apr 1940. 

Avro 652A Anson Mk. I, parts only, in storage.

Avro 652A Anson Mk. II, parts only, in storage.

Avro 652A Anson Mk. V, parts only, in storage. 

(CF Photo)

Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 5 (Serial No. 18767) in flight. 

(Author Photo)

Avro CF-100 Canuck Mk. 5 (Serial No. 18764).  Avro built 692 CF 100s for the RCAF between 1950 and 1958. The aircraft equipped Canada’s 13 front-line, all-weather fighter squadrons. The Canuck was affectionately known in the RCAF as the ‘Clunk’ because of the noise the front landing gear made as it retracted into its well after takeoff. Its less attractive nickname was the ‘Lead Sled.’

The armament consisted of various combinations of machine guns and air-to-air rockets, both guided and unguided. RCAF 18674 is a MK5 variant of the CF-100. It normally had a pod which carried 29″ (62 mm) unguided rocket missiles on each wingtip. This particular aircraft has fuel tanks rather than rocket pods on its wingtips. If it were to carry machine guns they would have been housed in a retractable tray in the belly.  This aircraft was taken on strength by the RCAF in 1958 and served with the 416 and 425 Squadrons. The CF-100 proved to be a very effective aircraft for the RCAF.  (RAMWC)

(Author Photo)

Avro CF-105 Arrow model. 

 (Wikipedia PD Photo)

Avro VZ-9-AV Avrocar (Serial No. 58-7055), (marked AV-7055) on its rollout in 1959. 

 (Author Photo)

 (Bzuk Photo)

Avro VZ-9-AV Avrocar, replica.  The brainchild of A.V. Roe and chief designer John Frost, the Avrocar was a revolutionary aircraft – capable of vertical takeoffs and landings.  Initial funding for its development, during the years 1952 to 1954 came from Avro Canada and the Canadian Government.  After demonstrating the project to the United States Air Force, Frost succeeded in obtaining funding from the US Military. Frost and his team then concentrated their efforts on developing a supersonic disc-shaped vehicle.

In 1959, a series of wind tunnel tests were completed at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Ames Research Centre in Moffett Field, California. Test flights were later conducted at the Avro plant in Malton, Ontario. The tests revealed serious design flaws and stability problems and the Avrocar never flew higher than one metre above the ground.

Funding for the project ran out before the necessary modifications could be made. The Avrocar project was shelved, but the lessons learned continued to influence aviation development.  The Avrocar was added to the museum’s collection on 14 March 2003.  (RAMWC)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4276743)

Beechcraft C-45 Expeditor. 

Beechcraft C-45H Expeditor Mk. 3N (Serial No. 1477), CF-BKO, CA-52.  The Beech Expeditor first flew in January 1937 and remained in production until 1969. This is a record for the length of time any aircraft has been in production and bears testimony to its success.  A total of 5,200 aircraft were built, all in the United States. The Model 18 was used around the world. It acquired various designations and names. In RCAF service, the military version was known as the ‘Expeditor’. They were used as a light transport aircraft and as a trainer for pilots and navigators and served in the RCAF from 1943 until 1969.

The display aircraft, RCAF 1477 is an Expeditor 3N. It was built in 1951, and retired from military service in 1968. It was used in civilian flying until 1975, when it was given to the museum by Mr. K.D. Olson. The aircraft was then restored to its earlier configuration and livery by volunteers from Canadian Forces Base, Portage la Prairie, Manitoba.  The Beech Model 18 is still used extensively by various commercial operations. The aircraft was adapted to operate on wheels, skis or floats. It transported fishermen into the various remote lodges in the northern parts of Canada. The aircraft was used extensively for transporting fish out of the north to processing plants.

Beechcraft CT-134A Musketeer, (Serial No. 134235).  The Beech Model 23 was manufactured from 1961 until about 1980 under various names – ‘Sierra’, ‘Sundowner’, ‘Sport’ and ‘Musketeer’. It served the general aviation market with a small, relatively inexpensive aircraft for private recreational flying. It was comparable in performance and cost to the Cessna, Piper, Grumman and other light airplanes.  The Musketeer CAF 134235 was used by the Canadian Armed Forces as a primary trainer for student pilots. It served in that capacity from 1981 until 1992 at CFB Portage la Prairie, Manitoba.  (RAMWC)

(Canadian Forces Photo)

Bell CH-135 Twin Huey Helicopter. 

Bell 212/CH-135 Twin Huey Helicopter, (Serial No.).

 (Bzuk Photo)

Bellanca 14-19C Cruisemaster (Serial No. 1208), C-FKFK. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388140)

Bellanca Skyrocket, CF-DCH, ca 1947. 

Bellanca 31-55A Skyrocket (Serial No.).

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388079)

Bellanca 66-70 Air Cruiser, CF-AWR, Mackenzie Air Service Ltd, Eldorado, NWT, 26 July 1935. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388080)

Bellanca 66-70 Air Cruiser, CF-AWR, Mackenzie Air Service Ltd, Eldorado, NWT, 26 July 1935. 

(Edmonton Air Museum Photo, Ctte./NWT Archives/ N-1979-003-0847).

Bellanca 66-75 BTW Aircruiser, CF-AWR, Mackenzie Air Services, the Silver Express, commissioned mainly to service the Eldorado Radium Mine and Blatchford Field, ca. 1930s. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388078)

Bellanca 66-70 'Aircruiser' aircraft CF-AWR 'Eldorado Radium Silver Express' of Mackenzie Air Service Ltd. at the Eldorado Mine, Great Bear Lake, N.W.T. July 1937. 

 (Author Photo)

 (Bzuk Photo)

Bellanca 66-75 BTW Aircruiser, CF-AWR. 

 (Internet Photo)

Benson B-7 Gyro-Glider. 

Black Brant sounding rocket.  The Black Brant is a solid fuel research rocket in single and multi-stage configurations. It can carry payloads of 70-850 kg to altitudes from 150 km to more than 1,500 km. It provides up to 20 minutes of useful time for micro-gravity experiments, auroral studies, deep space observations and other extra-terrestrial research. All Black Brants can be launched from conventional boom rails or 3- or 4-fin towers.  (RAMWC)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3582888)

Bristol (Fairchild) Bolingbroke Mk. IV crash, 119 (BR) Squadron, 4 Sep 1942. 

Bristol (Fairchild) Bolingbroke Mk. IVT (Serial No. 9869).

 (RuthAS Photo)

Bristol 170 Freighter Mk. 31M, RCAF (Serial No. 9699). 

 (RCAF Photo)

Bristol 170A Freighter, RCAF (Serial No. 9698). 

 (Author Photo)

Bristol 170 Freighter Mk. 31 (Serial No. 9850), CF-WAE.  CF-WAE was built in 1955 for the RCAF.  It carried Canadair CL-13 Sabre fighter jets and various helicopters from RCAF bases in France and Germany to overhaul facilities in the UK.  It was purchased in 1967 by Wardair to carry freight around northern Canada, mainly to the DEW Line to service Radar Stations.  It was then sold to Norcanair in Saskatchewan where it operated until 1983.  Norcanair then flew it to Winnipeg and donated it to the Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada.

 (Bzuk Photo)

Bristol 170 Freighter Mk. 31 (Serial No. 9850), CF-WAE. 

 (RCAF Photo, courtesy of the Shearwater Aviation Museum)

Canadair CT-133A Silver Star Mk. 3, RCAF (Serial No. 21627).

Canadair CT-133A Silver Star (Serial No. 133574), (Serial No. 21574).  A variant of Lockheed’s F80 “Shooting Star”, the T-33A was the most widely used tandem two-seat advanced trainer in the world. The prototype flew for the first time on March 22, 1948.  The T-33 was reliable and had forgiving flight properties. Its service life in the RCAF (and later the Canadian Forces) was extremely long. One of the more unusual roles it played was as an aerobatic demonstration aircraft – the RCAF’s Red Knight.  Although the aircraft stopped being used as a trainer in 1976, there were still over 50 aircraft in the Canadian Forces inventory in 1995. The youngest of these airframes was then 37 years old and had exceeded its expected life by a factor of 2 1/2. During this period, the Canadair T-33 was employed in communication, target towing and enemy simulation.

The aircraft was supplied to the air arms of some 25 countries, and built under licence in Japan by Kawasaki (210 machines), and in Canada by Canadair as the CL-30 Silver Star T-33AN, (656 examples). The Silver Star Mk 2 and 3 differed from the U.S. manufactured T-33A in that they were powered by a Rolls-Royce Nene 10 turbojet.  The parent company had manufactured a total of 5,691 T-33A and T-33B trainers when the last was delivered in August 1959.

Canadair was given a contract in September 1951 to manufacture the T-33 with the first flight being in December 1952. T-33’s were used as trainers with the RCAF in the 1950s and 1960s. Canada gave T-33’s to Bolivia, France, Greece, Portugal and Turkey under the Mutual Aid programme.  The T-33 entered service in the RCAF as its primary training aircraft for fighter/interceptors. Its name is an interesting take of the USAF designation “Shooting Star.” The RCAF named it the “Silver Star,” in honour of Canada’s (and the British Empire’s) first flight of a heavier-than-air craft, the AEA Silver Dart. The designation of the Silver Star in the Canadian Forces was CT-133.  RCAF 21075 was used at Gimli, Manitoba for RCAF and NATO pilot training until it was retired in 1967.  Donated to the Canadian Museum of Flight by Northwest Industries in 1977, with only 1,067 hours total time, CMF’s T-33 lacks an engine, instruments and cockpit furnishings. (RAMWC)

 (Author Photo)

Canadair CL-13 Sabre Mk. 6 (Serial No. 23760), silver, Pakistan Air Force markings.  23760 was the final Sabre built by Canadair before it ceased production.  It's fighter pilots in Pakistan recorded six kills over the Indian Air Force.

Designed by the North American Aviation Company of California, the Sabre was also built in Canada by the Canadair Company of Montreal. It was put into service by the United States Air Force in 1949. Canadair made 1,815 of them between August 1950 and October 1958. The Canadian-built planes served in the RCAF as well as the air forces of Britain, West Germany, Greece, Yugoslavia, Turkey, South Africa, Pakistan, Honduras, and Colombia.  In its day, the Sabre was the best fighter in the world, especially those built by Canadair which used the Canadian Orenda engine. It had six .50 caliber machine guns in the nose, and could carry rockets and bombs.

The CL-13 was also the airplane used by the famous ‘Golden Hawks’, the aerobatic team of the RCAF of the 1950s and 1960s before the ‘Snowbirds’.  The museum’s Sabre, (Serial No. 23760), PAF (Serial No. 1815), was flown last in Pakistan and was donated by the Pakistan Air Force in 1996. The donation was made possible due to the efforts of Air Commodore Kamran Qureshi of the Pakistan Air Force. Air Commodore Qureshi flew this aircraft in the Pakistan/Indian war of 1971, where the pilots of this aircraft recorded six kills.  The Air Commodore master-minded the repatriation of the aircraft to Canada and the museum. Regrettably, Air Commodore Qureshi drowned just two hours after the F-86 Sabre 1815 was shipped to Canada onboard a Canadian Forces C-130 Hercules.

Canadair CT-114 Tutor (Serial No. 114004).  This aircraft was  added to the museum’s permanent collection on September 29, 2015.  The first CT-114 rolled out the door of Canadair’s Montreal plant in 1963 and, by the time production was terminated in 1967, 190 Tutors were dedicated to service in the RCAF.  The Canadian Forces Snowbirds (431 Air Demonstration Squadron) is a Canadian icon, comprised of serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces. Their pilots and technicians work as a team to bring thrilling performances to the North American public. The Canadair Tutor was designed as the first jet trainer for the RCAF.

The CT-114 Tutor is a conventional all-metal, low-wing, single-engine, turbo-jet aircraft designed for the training of student pilots. It features side-by-side ejection seats for a crew of two in a pressurized and air conditioned cockpit. The majority of the services are electrically operated, but the landing gear, wing flaps, speed brakes, nose wheel steering and wheel brakes are hydraulically operated. The aircraft is certified for Instrument Flight Rule (IFR) conditions and is equipped with all necessary instrumentation for navigation, instrument and night flying training. The engine, a 2,700-lb thrust turbojet, was produced under licence by Orenda Aerospace.  

This particular aircraft in the museum’s collection is the fourth Canadair Limited CL-41A Tutor (manufacturer’s number 1004). Taken on charge by the RCAF on February 7, 1964, it was given RCAF serial number 26004 and assigned to 2 Canadian Forces Flying Training School, CFB Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.  On 29 November 1965 the aircraft was re-classified as a non-flying Instructional Airframe and given the new registration number of A702, meaning essentially a complete aircraft with an operating engine. Instructional airframes were used to train mechanics on all components of the aircraft, and used to practice maintenance procedures or aircraft modifications before applying them to actual flying aircraft.

After unification of the Canadian Armed Forces in 1968, the original RCAF registration number was changed from 26004 to 114004, the “114” prefix indicating the type of aircraft, in this case the CT-114 Tutor.  After many years of service under the skilled hands and eyes of trainee technicians and instructors, this aircraft was converted to museum status in 1994 and transferred to 17 Wing, Winnipeg.  Tail Number 114004 did not actually serve with the Snowbirds, as it was taken out of flying service in 1971, shortly before the unit was formed. However, it is painted in the Snowbirds’ familiar colour scheme of silver, red, blue and white.  (RAMWC)

Canadair CT-114 Tutor (Serial No. 114155).

 (CF Photo)

(Canadair Photo)

Canadair CL-84 Dynavert in flight. 

 (Bzuk Photo)

Canadair CL-84 Dynavert (Serial No. CX-8403).

 (RCAF Photo)

Canadair CF-104 Starfighter with recce pod (Serial No. 104862). 

Canadair CF-104 Starfighter (Serial No. 104753), (Serial No. 12753).

 (RCAF Photo via Chris Charland)

Canadair CP-107 Argus Mk. 2,  RCAF (Serial No. 20726).

Canadair CL-28/CP-107 Argus (Serial No.), parts.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3650434)

Canadian Vickers Vedette Mk. II flying boat, G-CYYF, RCAF, near Orient Bay, Ontario, ca 1930. 

 (Author Photo)

Canadian Vickers Vedette V, CF-MAA. 

 (Author Photo)

Canadian Vickers Vedette V, CF-MAA. 

 (Author Photo)

Canadian Vickers Vedette V, CF-MAA. 

 (DND Photo)

Cessna L-19 Bird Dog, Canadian Army (Serial No. 16724). 

Cessna L-19A Bird Dog (Serial No. unknown).

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3581732)

Cessna T-50 Crane, 22 Feb 1941. 

Cessna T-50 Crane Mk. I (Serial No. TBC).

Cessna 140.

 (Bzuk Photo)

de Havilland DH 82C Tiger Moth (Serial No. 5945), DHC1534, C-GTAL.  The Tiger Moth was the final development of de Havilland’s successful line of light bi-planes which began with the DH Gypsy Moth in 1925. The RCAF received its first Tiger Moth (often affectionately called the ‘Tigerschmidt’) in 1937 for elementary pilot training. Thousands of WWII pilots received their first flying instruction in this aircraft in the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

The Tiger Moth was a British design, but Canadian modifications were made. The principal change was a cockpit enclosure to prevent the pilots from freezing to death in winter flying. By 1930, pilots and mechanics of the Ontario Provincial Air Service in Sault Ste. Marie had learned that metal-shod skis did well in wet snow and wooden ones on dry snow. Nearly 1,600 were manufactured in the de Havilland plant in Toronto during the war. After the war, many Tiger Moths were sold to civilian operators and flying clubs.

The Tiger Moth was a harsh teacher. It did everything properly: stalled, spun, recovered, aerobatted with precision. Yet, her light weight and tendency to lose lift in gusty weather resulted in mishaps for inexperienced pilots. The pilot was tested to learn her limitations and work well within them. It was claimed that this was a useful basis for graduation to other aircraft. Tiger Moth enthusiasts will agree that survivable accidents met in Tigers could warrant a chapter in their own right; the Tiger was strong enough to resist almost every attempt at demolition practiced by the student in the normal course of events and slow enough to allow most walking wounded to make a graceful exit if crashed from a height.

The museum's Tiger Moth was flown regularly by the Red River Tiger Moth Group Ltd. from a hangar at the Arnold Brothers Airport near Oak Bank.  For nearly 30 years, CF-COU flew in virtually every air show held in Winnipeg, and made some long distance trips as well. In 1970, she was the centrepiece of two media stories. The first was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first time an aircraft was used in Canada to cover a news story. The second was a recreation of the 50th anniversary of the first bush flight in Canada from Winnipeg to The Pas, Manitoba; also originally completed with an Avro 504. The aircraft was donated to the museum in 2005. (RAMWC)

de Havilland Fox Moth, CF-BNP.  The Fox Moth is a variant of the two-place Tiger Moth.  The pilot sat outside and passengers or cargo sat in an enclosed cabin area located between the engine and the pilot.  Using the Fox Moth, Max Ward began his charter company which eventually grew into Wardair, one of the world’s most elegant charter airlines of the 1970s to 1990s. The Fox Moth first flew in Britain in 1932 and de Havilland Canada brought it to Canada after the Second World War.  Most Fox Moth’s were flown in the north on floats and skis.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4236031)

de Havilland DH.89 Rapide, CF-BNJ, 1950. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3642450)

de Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide, CF-AEO, 3 July 1935. 

de Havilland DH.89A Dragon Rapide (Serial No. 6375), CF-BND.

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584168)

de Havilland DH 100 Vampire, 11 Dec 1948. 

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584696)

de Havilland DH 100 Vampire, 14 Aug 1952. 

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584697)

de Havilland DH 100 Vampire, 14 Aug 1952. 

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584697)

de Havilland DH 100 Vampire (Serial No. 17042), FB-U, 14 Aug 1952. 

de Havilland DH 100 Vampire (Serial No. 17020).

de Havilland Canada CT-120 Chipmunk (Serial No.).

(DND Photo)

de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver on skis in flight. 

de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver (Serial No. 1500), CF-MAA.  The de Havilland Beaver was designed and built in Canada, and first flew on August 16, 1947. It is an all-metal bushplane designed to operate on skis, wheels, or floats. Its rugged dependability and exceptional performance made it a favourite with bush pilots and operators.  The Beaver is considered by many to be the best bush plane ever built. Even though a number of them have been retired to museums around the world, the demand for this ‘half-ton truck of the air’ is still as strong as ever.

The original selling price was $32,000 U.S. In 1997, a Beaver – over 40 years old and in good condition – was selling for up to $300,000 U.S.  The Association of Industrial Designers has named the Beaver one of the best designs in all categories to come out of Canada.  Over the years, 1,962 Beavers were built and exported to 62 countries, including 981 to the USA for both civil and military use.  The Beaver was the first aircraft built outside of the United States purchased by the US Military. Approximately 900 of the aircraft were bought. They were used extensively for support and medical roles. They also played a major role with the US Military Forces in the Korean conflict.  The Beaver on display was donated to the museum by the Manitoba Government Air Services. It has manufacturer number 1,500.  (RAMWC)

Douglas DC-3A/CC-129 Dakota (Serial No. 7340), CF-BFV.  Eldorado Radium Silver Express.

 (Bzuk Photo)

Fairchild F-11A Husky, C-GCYV.

(Fairchild Corp Photo)

Fairchild 24W-41A Argus Mk. II in RAF service. 

Fairchild 24-W-46 (Serial No. 320), C/N W40-120, CF-FQA.  Western Canada Aviation Museum, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4295607)

Fairchild FC-2W2, CF-BXF, Carcross, Yukon Territory.

Fairchild FC-3 (Serial No.).

(RCAF Photo)

Fairchild 71B in RCAF service. 

(Photo courtesy of the Canadian Aviation Preservation Association)

Fairchild 71, G-CAVR on floats. 

(C.B,C. Donnelly, Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3390294)

Fairchild 71B, RCAF Reg. No. G-CYUW, Fort Fitzgerald, Alberta, 1931. 

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3582695)

Fairchild 71B, RCAF, on Bowland Lake, Ontaro. 

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3388384)

Fairchild 71C, Canada Airways Ltd, ca 1935.

 (Author Photo)

Fairchild 71C (Serial No. 516), Canadian Airways Ltd., CF-AKT.  The Fairchild was widely used for bush flying in the 1930s. The particular aircraft on display at the museum was operated by Canadian Airways and later by CP Air.  The Fairchild FC-2W2 was designed and built in the U.S. in 1928. It carried seven passengers, or a payload of 625 kg (1,400 lbs). It became a popular general purpose aircraft and was used throughout the US, Canada, Alaska and Mexico. It was readily adapted to skis or floats and was widely used for bush flying in the 1930s. This particular aircraft crashed in the Yukon in August 1943. The wreckage remained there until 1973 when it was flown to Winnipeg in a Canadian Forces Hercules. Restoration – by museum volunteers – was completed in 1991.

The September 1943 accident report stated the CF-AKT’s engine stopped. The aircraft was on floats and 40 miles from Watson Lake. Pilot, Stan Emery couldn’t find a body of water nearby, so he landed in the bush. Just before touchdown, the starboard float hit a tree and flipped the aircraft on to its back. Miraculously, not even a pane of glass was broken and Stan walked away uninjured. Other than badly swollen feet caused by his long walk back to Watson Lake, he was in good condition. The Canadian Airways Station Manager at Watson Lake, Stan Wagner was upset at losing an aircraft and grounded Stan. The two parted ways after a heated discussion two weeks later.  Stan Emery later joined Canadian Pacific Airlines and retired as a DC-8 Captain. The Station Manager, Stan Wagner, went on to become the General Manager of TransAir Ltd. – a position from which he retired. In 1991, when the aircraft was re-dedicated to the museum, both the pilot and the Station Manager were in attendance – meeting once again after 48 years.  (RAMWC)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3580890)

Fairchild Super 71, CF-AUJ on skis, 2 March 1935.  The Fairchild Super 71 was a Canadian parasol-mounted, high-wing monoplane cargo transport aircraft built by Fairchild Aircraft Ltd. (Canada). The Super 71 was an entirely new design that was the first “purpose-built” civilian bush plane for use in remote and northern locales in Canada.

In 1933, the Fairchild Aircraft Company undertook a study of new designs based on their Model 71. A decision to mount a parasol wing above the fuselage coupled with a rear cockpit position, clearly distinguished this model from the rest of the Fairchild 71 series, although the company designation maintained the family lineage. The choice of the unusual cockpit was predicated on the need to have a large front cargo compartment as well as considering the load distribution in normal operation. In use, pilots found that forward vision was compromised to such an extent that few operators favoured the installation and when the RCAF ordered the type, the specifications included a new cockpit position directly behind the engine.

The design featured a first-of-its-kind (for Canada) duralumin monocoque fuselage with a streamlined oval shape and strut-braced metal wing and tail surfaces. Wind tunnel testing not only was used to model the fuselage shape, but influenced the placement of the tailplane which was altered from its original t-tail position to a high-mounted tailplane intended to keep the tailplane out of the water spray on takeoff.

Unique in Canadian aviation history, the Fairchild Super 71 was the first metal-skinned aircraft to be built in Canada for bush flying operations. Purchased by Canadian Airways in 1934, it had a huge cargo capacity and was especially suited to fly to distant camps and communities in the north.

Engine choices varied with as many as six different powerplants being offered: the 493 hp Armstrong Siddeley Jagaur, the 520 hp Pratt & Whitney T1D1 Wasp, the 525 hp Pratt & Whitney S1D1 Wasp, the 560 hp Pratt & Whitney SD-1 Hornet, the 585 hp Wright SR-1820-F-41 Cyclone and the 610 hp Wright SR-1820-F-42 Cyclone.

Equipped with floats and powered by the 525 hp S1D1 Wasp, the Super 71 prototype, CF-AUJ, flew for the first time on October 31, 1934. After the aircraft completed airworthiness tests, it was loaned to Canadian Airways which conducted operational trials in both Quebec and Ontario before the aircraft was written off after running into a submerged log and sinking in Lost Bay on Confederation Lake on October 3, 1940.  This aircraft is a one-of-a-kind example of Canadian design and engineering specifically dedicated to northern flying. It stands as a testament to the courage and spirit of the aviators of an early time in Canadian aviation history.  (RAMWC) 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3580889)

Fairchild Super 71 on skis, CF-AUJ, Rockcliffe, 2 March 1935. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3580897)

Fairchild Super 71, CF-AUJ, 3 Jul 1935.  

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3650782)

Fairchild Super 71 on floats, CF-AUJ, 1935.  

(Author Photo)

Fairchild Super 71 (Serial No. 50), CF-AUJ.  In the 1930s, CF-AAM was stationed in B.C., flying mail to the Yukon, joining communities together for the first time. Mail order brides were transported in her cabin, as tales of pilot heroics and tragedies pursued. The first life of CF-AAM ended in a crash at the Dawson City Airport. However, our restoration crews delight in being able to piece together parts from salvaged aircraft, fabricate missing pieces to original specifications and see the results come to fruition on display.

CF-AAM – a Fokker Super Universal – was reconstructed using the parts of four wrecked airplanes. After a 18-year road to restoration, this Fokker first flew on July 24, 1998, but it took another year of proof and paperwork to gain a coveted Certificate of Airworthiness. The aircraft had an eight-year tour on the vintage aircraft circuit, making appearances all over North America, covering over 35,000 miles before coming “home” to rest at the museum in 2005.  (RAMWC)

Fairchild UC-61 Argus (Serial No. TBC).

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3650763)

Fairchild Cornell Mk. I, RCAF EW485, 1944. 

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3643703)

Fairchild Cornell Mk. I, RCAF FH652, Cockpit, No. 3 Flying Instructors School, July 1942. 

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3643706)

Fairchild Cornell Mk. I, RCAF FH652, No. 3 Flying Instructors School, July 1942. 

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3390307)

Fairchild Cornell Mk. I, RCAF FH652, No. 3 Flying Instructors School, Rockcliffe, Jul 1942. 

Fairchild PT-26A Cornell Mk. II (Serial No.).

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3194865)

Fairey Firefly FR Mk. IV, RCN (Serial No. TW753), No. 825 Squadron, damaged after swerving off the flightdeck of HMCS Magnificent at sea. 

Fairey Firefly Mk. V (Serial No. TBC). 

(RCAF Photo)

Fleet 7C Fawn Mk. II in RCAF Service. 

Fleet 7C Fawn II (Serial No. TBC). 

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3581751)

Fleet Finch, RCAF (Serial No. 4675). 

Fleet 16B Finch 16B (Serial No. TBC).

 (Fleet Aircraft of Canada Photo)

Fleet 21. 

Fleet 21K (Serial No.).

 (Library & Archives Canada Photo,  MIKAN No. 3390421)

Fleet Fort, RCAF (Serial No. 3562), 25 Oct 1941.  

Fleet 60K Fort (Serial No.), on loan to the CWHM.  (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3390509)

Fokker Universal floatplane, G-CAIZ, Central Manitoba Mines, Long Lake, Manitoba, August 1929.  

Fokker Standard Universal, G-CAJD.  G-CAJD was one of the major workhorses of the early years of northern flying. The pilot sat in a open cockpit – often frozen – while four passengers or cargo could fit inside the enclosed cabin.  Canadian Airways Fokker Standard Universal, G-CAJD, was flying north from Winnipeg carrying a cargo of supplies for a party of gold prospectors at Island Lake, when it ran into snow squalls and decreasing visibility. Finding the conditions too threatening, pilot Stuart McRorie decided to land on the ice at Charron Lake and wait out the storm. Coming to a stop, the plane went through the ice without warning. McRorie climbed out dry from the open cockpit, but air engineer ‘Slim’ Forrest who was in the cargo section ‘got a soaking’. The two camped by the plane the first night and then walked to shore where they set up camp to await rescue.  They were rescued after a very harrowing experience.  Likely in May, 1932, G-CAJD, with its tail in the air and nose underwater, slowly, silently slipped below the surface of Charron Lake during spring break-up. It likely leveled off and ‘flew’ its last flight, coming to rest on the bottom where the 2005 search team found her. How far she flew has not been calculated, but it could have been a kilometer or more.

The 30-year search for a rare bush plane – lost in a snow storm on December 10, 1931 at Charron Lake in northeast Manitoba, Canada – ended on July 4, 2005. A Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada search team, using sophisticated side-scan sonar technology, finally located the aircraft literally ‘parked’ on the lake bottom.  In the summer of 2007, the ‘Ghost’ was successfully recovered from the lake bottom, airlifted by helicopter to Lac du Bonnet and brought by flatbed trailer to the museum in Winnipeg.  (RAMWC)

(RCAF Photo courtesy of the Canadian Aviation Preservation Association)

Fokker Super Universal, RCAF. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3390454)

Fokker Super Universal floatplane, G-CASL of Western Canada Airways Co., Rottenstone Lake, Saskatchewan, 1929. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3390496)

Fokker Super Universal on skis, G-CASO, Nov 1929. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3390453)

Fokker 'Super Universal' aircraft CF-AAM, Saskatchewan, 1929.

 (Author Photo)

Fokker Super Universal, C/N 827,  CF-AAM.

Froebe Helicopter and Ornithopter.  An Ornithopter is defined as a heavier-than-air craft designed to achieve flight by flapping its wings.  The museum's ornithopter was designed and built by Doug Froebe – the middle brother of Nick and Theodore – in the 1930s. It was powered by the pilot’s feet pumping the pedals. It never flew. The other brothers realized their claim to fame by building Canada’s first helicopter known as the Froebe Helicopter. 

Doug Froebe and his brothers, Theodore and Nicholas are some of Canada’s pioneers of homebuilt aircraft. The brothers built a Heath Parasol in 1927. They later went on to build Canada’s first helicopter known as the Froebe Helicopter.  Canada’s first helicopter was designed and built by the three Froebe brothers on their farm near Homewood, 65 km southwest of Winnipeg, in the 1930s. They had a keen interest in flight and engines, and started their experiments by constructing a Heath Parasol home-built aeroplane. They then began working on vertical flight.

Gathering whatever information they could find, the brothers bought a used aircraft engine, constructed a frame from aircraft grade steel tubing, and made or purchased other parts as they were needed. (Mechanics will recognize parts from automobiles and farm machinery.)  The helicopter was well designed and constructed with cyclic, collective, and throttle controls, all being manipulated by both hands. The contra-rotating rotor blades, were made of stainless steel covered by fabric, and powered by an 98 hp de Havilland 4-cylinder in-line, air-cooled engine.

Total flying time for the machine was four hours and five minutes, made in a number of short test flights. Its flight was marred by severe vibration and a shortage of power. The flight log book indicated that the best flights were made in the dense, cold air of winter. At the start of WWII the brothers set aside their experiments.  The helicopter was discovered in a granary, intact except for the tires, on the Froebe farm, and donated to the Museum by the Froebe family.  (RAMWC)

(CF Photo)

Hawker Hunter in RAF Service. 

Hawker Hunter (Serial No.).

Heath Parasol.  This was a kit airplane which started the home-built movement in Canada.

(Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4235128)

Hiller CH-112 Nomad Helicopter, Canadian Army, CJATC, Rivers, Manitoba, ca 1960s. 

(Library & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 44235124)

Hiller CH-112 Nomad Helicopter, Canadian Army, CJATC, Rivers, Manitoba, ca 1960s. 

Hiller CH-112 Nomad Helicopter (Serial No. 265).

 (Author Photo)

Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchón (Serial No. 12E-265), C/N 164, coded C.4K-114.  This aircraft retains its Spanish Air Force markings.  It was flown in the movie Battle of Britain.  It was manufactured by La Hispano Aviación S.A. in Seville, Spain in the mid-1950s.  It served with the 7th Fighter Bomber Wing of the Spanish Air Force.  Producers of the 1960s British film Battle of Britain acquired the aircraft and used parts of it in aircraft featured in the film.  Canada's Department of Defence Production purchased the Buchón from Spitfire Productions Ltd. of London, England, for the Canadian War Museum in 1967.  The aircraft arrived at Rockcliffe airport in October of that year.  It was restored between 1984 and 1986, and is finished in its original Spanish Air Force markings. C.4K-114 s on loan from the Canada Aviation and Space Museum, Ottawa, to the Western Canada Aviation Museum, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

 (Bill Larkins Photo)

Howard DGA-15, NC67758. 

Howard DGA-15.

 (Wikipedia Photo)

Junkers F-13, ca. 1920. 

(Wikipedia Photo)

Junkers F-13, ca. 1920. 

Junkers F-13, C/N 2050, CF-ALX.

(A. Buisson, Libarary & Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3390711)

Junkers Ju 52, CF-ARM, Canadian Airways Ltd., Casummit Lake, Ontario, August 1936. 

 (Bzuk Photo)

Junkers Ju 52-1M (Serial No. 70), C/N 56, N992234, CF-ARM.  

A pioneer workhorse in aviation  history, this 1931 single-engine aircraft could lift a maximum of three tons. Some of its more distinguishable features include a corrugated aluminum skin as well as large side doors and a hatch in the roof to accommodate awkward loads.  The Junkers JU-52/1M was first flown on 13 Oct 1930.  It was a single-engine, cargo-carrying, corrugated metal commercial transport.  It played a significant role in the aviation history of Canada’s north. Only five were built; none have survived.  One of those five (CF-ARM) was a member of the Canadian Airways Ltd. fleet, the firm founded by James A. Richardson of Winnipeg.  For 12 years, between 1931 and 1943, it became known as the “Flying Boxcar”, roaring over Canada’s northland.

With large, side-opening doors, it could carry loads no other aircraft could. Just as significant was the large roof hatch that allowed loading heavy items from a crane.  In 1942, Canadian Pacific Airlines took over all of Canadian Airways’ fleet. In 1947, CF-ARM was taken out of service because of difficulty in getting parts. It was bought by a junk dealer who stripped it down and sold it for parts. The fuselage ended its days as a child’s playhouse in Winnipeg.  The Richardson Family took the floats to Lake of the Woods to form a floating dock at the local yacht club. When the floats were no longer needed, they were sunk on site. In 1982, the Aviation Museum’s dive team salvaged one full float and part of the other float and brought them into the museum.

With a generous donation from George T. Richardson, the museum purchased a Junkers JU-52/3M in 1982 from the Wings and Wheels Museum in Orlando, Florida. That museum had lost its lease and was forced to put its memorabilia up for auction. Similar to the original JU-52, its only difference was a tri-motor formation instead of a single-engine version of the plane.  Bristol Aerospace remodeled the JU52/3M into the static version of the JU-52/1M, which is now a proud part of the museum’s collection. (RAMWC)

KOLB Flyer.  The Kolb Flyer is a full-three-Axis control ultralight. It has an aluminum and chrom-moly steel construction. The wings are covered with Dacron which is cemented on, ironed tight and given one or two coats of sealer. It has no ground steering and no brakes. The engines are mounted below wing driving pusher propellers.  The Kolb Flyer was named after the Wright Brothers’ aircraft. The prototype was built and flown in 1970. It was released for sale to the general public in 1980.  In all, Mr. Kolb designed and built nine airplanes that weighed less than 77 kg (170 lbs).  (RAMWC)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3199512)

Link Trainer, RCAF Station Alliford Bay, BC, 10 Apr 1942. 

Link Trainers.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3583647)

Lockheed Electra, RCAF (Serial No.1526, 8 Dec 1944. 

 (Bzuk Photo)

Lockheed 10A Electra (Serial No.), stored in winter for TCA, CF-TCC.  The Lockheed Electra was a twin-engine, all-metal monoplane developed by the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation in the 1930s to compete with the Boeing 247 and Douglas DC-2. It was the first modern type of airliner to be introduced into Canada. It carried a crew of two and up to 10 passengers.

Three Electras were delivered to Trans-Canada Air Lines in 1937. They were based in Winnipeg and used for pilot training. CF-TCC was one of those three.  Larger aircraft were soon required and the 10As were sold off. CF-TCC was found in Florida by a vacationing Air Canada employee in the early 1980s. Arrangements were made for it to be brought back to Winnipeg where it was restored. It was flown across Canada in 1987 to commemorate Air Canada’s 50th Anniversary.  (RAMWC)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3643717)

Lockheed L-18-56 Lodestar, RCAF (Serial No. 555), Rockcliffe, Ontario, 23 Nov 1943.  

Lockheed C-56 Lodestar (Serial No. TBC).

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3650941)

Lockheed Ventura GRV, RCAF (Serial No. 2183), D. 

Lockheed Vega V-146 Ventura (Serial No. 2209), CF-OZO, fuselage, wings.

Luscombe.

  (Bzuk Photo)

McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo (Serial No. 101034), ex-USAF (Serial No. 57-00362).  No. 416 Squadron.  Plus cockpits.  As a supersonic, all-weather interceptor, the twin-engine, two-place Voodoo provided high speed, excellent climb performance and a very good combat radius and ceiling, plus additional flexibility in replacing the CF-100.  The Voodoo’s primary armament was nuclear AIR-2A Genie unguided air-to-air rockets, and there was significant political controversy in Canada about their adoption. Although they never fired a weapon in anger, the CF-101 served as Canada’s primary means of air defence throughout their service life from Quick Reaction Alert facilities at Canadian airbases.

Used almost exclusively in the NORAD defence role, the aircraft proved to be a safe and reliable weapons platform until replaced by the McDonnell Douglas CF-18 Hornet in the mid-eighties.  The CF-101 Voodoo was operated by the Royal Canadian Air Force and Canadian Forces between 1961 and 1984. They were manufactured by the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation of St. Louis, Missouri for the United States Air Force (as F-101s), and later sold to Canada. CF-101s replaced the obsolete Avro CF-100 in the RCAF’s all-weather fighter squadrons.  (RAMWC)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4276736)

Noorduyn Norseman, CF-MPI. 

Noorduyn UC-64 Norseman Mk. IV (Serial No. 2457), CF-BTC.

 (USAAF Photo)

North American NA-64 Yale. 

North American BT-14/ NA-64 Yale (Serial No. 3430), (64-2223).

(RCAF Photo courtesy of the Canadian Aviation Preservation Association)

North American Harvard Mk. II. 

 (RCAF Photo)

North American NA-75 Harvard Mk. II (Serial No. 3225), 56, on its nose. 

North American NA-66 Harvard Mk. II RCAF (Serial No. 2937), C/N 66-2670.

North American NA-66 Harvard Mk. II (Serial No. 66-2788), (1516).

Quickie II, C-GIKP.

 (Ken Fielding Photo)

Saunders ST-27, CF-XOK, 14 May 1970. 

Saunders ST-27, CF-LOL

Saunders ST-28, C/N 101, C-GYAP.

 (Bill Larkins Photo)

Stinson AT-19 Reliant, RAF. 

Stinson SR-8 CM Reliant (Serial No. 9733), CF-AZV.  The Stinson Reliant was introduced in 1936 and could accommodate a pilot and four passengers. It was manufactured by Stinson Aircraft Corporation in Michigan. The gull-wing Reliants were very popular airplanes and more than 1,000 of them were built before World War II. The fuselage, tail surfaces and wings were of welded steel-tube construction – typical of the period. The whole framework was covered with cotton.

The aircraft on display at the museum was owned by Canadian Airways from 1936 to 1941, when ownership was passed to Canadian Pacific Airways. This aircraft spent most of its life flying from Winnipeg and Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba. It was donated to the museum by the Richardson Foundation.  (RAMWC)

(RCAF Photo courtesy of the Shearwater Aviation Museum)

Canadian Vickers Vedette, RCAF, ca. 1928.  This small wooden flying boat is one of 60 that were designed and produced by Canadian Vickers Ltd. of Montreal between 1924 and 1930. It was the first aircraft manufactured in Canada and was used for aerial photography and production of the first aerial maps of Canada’s north, as well as for forest inventory and fire patrols.  Many of the topographical maps in use today are based on photographs taken from Vedettes.  The Vedette was able to rise off the water quickly which was an important characteristic.

Several were based in Manitoba and flew off the Red River in Winnipeg or from locations like Victoria Beach and Lac du Bonnet. Vedettes also patrolled the coast of Nova Scotia and were used at the seaplane training base at Jericho Beach in BC. They were eventually replaced by the more versatile (all-season) aircraft such as the Fairchild, Bellanca and Norseman. The remaining Vedettes were destroyed or made into boats until no complete aircraft were left.  The RCAF purchased 44 of the 60 Vedettes and retired the last one in 1941.  (RAMWC)

Vickers Vedette Mk. V, CF-MAG.  CF-MAG was built in 1929 and was placed in storage until it was purchased by the Government of Manitoba in 1934, along with five ex-RCAF Vedettes (for $1 each) to be used for foreset fire patrols. In 1937, the engine of CF-MAG failed while on a flight to Cormorant Lake. The pilot touched down in a swamp, then walked to an area where he could be rescued. A week later, an attempt was made to retrieve the downed aircraft, but the swamp was too small to permit takeoff. After all the usable parts were salvaged, the hull was soaked with fuel and the Vedette set on fire.

Decades later, the RAMWC’s retrieval team recovered the remains of this and two other Vedettes to guide the development of a replica.  Museum volunteers pieced together information from the three wreckages. Plans had to be re-drawn before construction could begin (the Vedette plant had since burned down so no original plans remained). Over 100 volunteers contributed to the build effort. Since CF-MAG contributed the bulk of information to the build, those are the letters which are painted on the hull. On 24 May 2002, a dedication was organized at the museum for the opening of the Vickers Vedette exhibit.

This aircraft is the only example of this type in the world. Although it is airworthy, according to the standards of the late 1920s, it has not been certified as the museum does not plan to fly it.  (RAMWC)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3584762)

Vickers Viscount, Rockcliffe, 23 Mar 1953. 

Vickers Viscount 757 (Serial No 279), 637, CF-THS.  Trans-Canada Air Lines was the first airline in North America to use turboprop aircraft. Not long after, many other American passenger airlines discontinued the use of piston-engined aircraft in favour of this new technology.  This British-built aircraft was operated by Trans-Canada Air Lines (later Air Canada) and entered into service in April, 1955, on scheduled flights between Montreal and Winnipeg.

The turboprop Viscounts were favoured for their speed, quietness and lack of vibration. The fleet of 51 Viscounts were used on all of TCA’s short-haul routes. This Viscount is likely intimately familiar with its home, as it operated from TCA’s Winnipeg hangar (now the Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada) for many years.  The tail fin is higher than the hangar doors, so in order to move the aircraft in and out of the hangar, the nose wheel had (has) to be jacked up. TCA had a special jack for this purpose. It is on display adjacent to the Viscount. The aircraft on display was delivered to TCA in February, 1958 and was used until May, 1971. It found its permanent home at the Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada in 1984. (RAMWC)

Vultee BT-13 Valiant.

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3391102)

Waco YKS-6, CF-AYT, Wings Ltd, San Antonio Mine Bissett, Manitoba, 1 Aug 1936. 

WACO YKC-6 (Serial No. 4267), CF-AYS.  Weaver Aircraft Company’s “WACO”, CF-AYS, is an example of one of the smaller bush planes used in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s in western Canada. This aircraft operated from Flin Flon and The Pas, Manitoba and was owned by Arrow Airways of Flin Flon; the first owner of CF-AYS.  In 1942, Canadian Pacific Airlines purchased CF-AYS. This aircraft was also owned by renowned Winnipeg pilot and instructor, Konrad “Konnie” Johannesson.  (RAMWC)

 (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3607724)

WACO CG-HA Hadrian Troop Carrying Glider, preparing for a flight over the Atlantic.  

 (Library and Archives Canada Photos, MIKAN No. 4233994)

Waco Hadrian CG-HA glider with Canadian Soldiers, Exercise Eagle, ca early 1960s. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photos, MIKAN No. 4233996)

Waco Hadrian CG-HA glider with Canadian Soldiers, Exercise Eagle, ca early 1960s. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photos, MIKAN No. 4233997)

Waco Hadrian CG-HA glider with Canadian Soldiers, Exercise Eagle, ca early 1960s. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photos, MIKAN No.  4233999)

Waco Hadrian CG-HA glider with Canadian Soldiers, Exercise Eagle, ca early 1960s. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photos, MIKAN No. 4233999)

Waco Hadrian CG-HA glider with Canadian Soldiers, Exercise Eagle, ca early 1960s. 

 (Library and Archives Canada Photos, MIKAN No. 4234000)

Waco Hadrian CG-HA glider with Canadian Soldiers, Exercise Eagle, ca early 1960s. 

WACO CG-4A Hadrian II Glider (Serial No. TBC).

This aviation handbook is designed to be used as a quick reference to the classic military heritage aircraft that have been flown by members of the Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and the Canadian Forces. The interested reader will find useful information and a few technical details on most of the military aircraft that have been in service with active Canadian squadrons both at home and overseas. 100 selected photographs have been included to illustrate a few of the major examples in addition to the serial numbers assigned to Canadian service aircraft. For those who like to actually see the aircraft concerned, aviation museum locations, addresses and contact phone numbers have been included, along with a list of aircraft held in each museum's current inventory or on display as gate guardians throughout Canada and overseas. The aircraft presented in this edition are listed alphabetically by manufacturer, number and type. Although many of Canada's heritage warplanes have completely disappeared, a few have been carefully collected, restored and preserved, and some have even been restored to flying condition. This guide-book should help you to find and view Canada's Warplane survivors.

Order book: http://bookstore.iuniverse.com/Products/SKU-000136656/Canadian-Warplanes.aspx.

Order e-book: http://bookstore.iuniverse.com/Products/SKU-000136656/Canadian-Warplanes.aspx.

Order book in Canada:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Canadian-Warplanes-Harold-A-Skaarup/9781440167584-item.html?ikwid=harold+skaarup&ikwsec=Books.

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Canadian-Warplanes/book-A-1j_Vj7wEif37C4PAMqfw/page1.html?utm_source=indigo&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=retailer&ikwid=harold+skaarup&ikwsec=Books

http://www.amazon.ca/Canadian-Warplanes-Skaarup-Harold/dp/1440167583/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322339022&sr=1-1

Nook book: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/canadian-warplanes-harold-a-skaarup/1108823626?ean=9781440167591&itm=10&USRI=Harold+Skaarup